Responsible To: Executive Director
Status: Full-time exempt Compensation: DOQ plus bonus and benefits
The WWVW utilizes nearly all facets of marketing to promote the Walla Walla Valley wine region, including research, public relations, advertising, strategic planning, and sales distribution. The primary tools for reaching the Walla Walla Valley Wine Region’s target market segments are wine events, media relations, advertising and Valley-wide product and distribution development. The WWVW targets the following four market segments:
- Wine consumers residing outside of the Walla Walla Valley.
- Wine wholesale and retail trade.
- Wine, travel, and lifestyle media.
- Walla Walla Valley residents who purchase wine and/or assist in promoting the Valley’s wine industry through word-of-mouth.
Events are a key tool used to market and promote the Walla Walla Valley wine region. Local and out-of-town events are used to promote wine tourism to the Walla Walla Valley and the wines produced by WWVW member wineries to consumers, media and trade. At present, the WWVW events include:
- Walla Walla Wine On Tour Events – Seattle, Portland, Boise (up to 400 trade/media and 400 consumers per location)
- Reveal Walla Walla Valley wine futures auction (3 sessions over 2 days)
- Celebrate Walla Walla Valley Wine (3-day event with 600 attendees, familiarization tour with media)
- Wander Walla Walla Valley Wine (self-guided itinerary series presented by local winemakers)
- Barrel Full of Money charitable fundraiser wine reception and auction (150 attendees)
The Development Manager will work closely with the Wine Alliance Staff, Board and applicable committees in planning and executing all aspects of trade and member facing events, including management of both trade and industry participation, as well as participation by WWVW members. The Development Manager will work with the Executive Director as a conduit between membership and WWVW. The Development Manager must possess strong interpersonal and leadership skills, as well as an ability to work independently, while still meeting the objectives laid out in the WWVW 3-year strategic plan and marketing plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Marketing & Development
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Marketing Manager to develop an annual marketing plan and budget.
- Work with Marketing Manager to develop media plans (which may include print, radio, television, electronic, and social) focusing on WWVW membership & trade events and/or marketing campaigns.
- Oversee ongoing WWVW membership and trade communications, including assisting with and occasionally making presentations at the mid-annual and annual membership meetings.
- Issue reports and/or updates to the Marketing Committee and subsidiaries, Board of Directors and members on a regular basis.
- Manage the development and implementation of the Walla Walla Valley Wine Alliance brand. Oversee development of key messages and work to ensure broad acceptance and adoption of best practices resulting in messages that are consistent and accurate in presenting the Walla Walla Valley in distribution channels.
- Proactively identify and pursue grant opportunities that align to WWVW’s strategic objectives.
- Work in conjunction with Executive Director to identify and secure sponsorship opportunities.
- Oversee the effective implementation of existing membership & trade programs and events.
- Work in conjunction with the Executive Director, Board of Directors and applicable committee members to create and implement new initiatives to meet the goals and objectives of the Wine Alliance and/or member needs.
- Oversee the planning and execution of all membership & trade event components, including venue selection, event websites, ticketing websites, event marketing, ticket sales, collateral oversight, catering, volunteer coordination, budget, budget reporting, set-up and tear-down, and obtaining liquor licenses and permits when necessary.
- Create event budgets in conjunction with the Executive Director.
- Occasionally make presentations on event plans and past event reports at mid-annual and annual membership meetings.
- Develop and maintain trade database including national sales and distribution contacts within WWVW membership.
- Identify needs and oversee production of printed materials (maps, infographics, posters, postcards, etc.) and the ongoing updating and maintenance of the website and other new media applications that support membership and trade development.
- Manage special projects that pertain to membership and trade development as needed.
- Manage and direct vendors engaged by the WWVW to provide specific support or deliverables. Work with staff and selected vendors to develop media kits, advertising copy and other promotional materials.
- Provide content for purposes of producing process documents for events.
- Provide support to Marketing Manager for consumer facing events and programs as resources allow.
- Three plus years of relevant marketing and business development experience in a nonprofit organization, private business, or PR/marketing agency. Independent consultant experience does not qualify. Wine industry experience preferred.
- Four-year college degree from an accredited institution in communications, journalism, marketing, hospitality management, business or related discipline.
- Staff and/or consultant management experience a plus.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, phone, presentation, and interpersonal. Written skills should include ability to write creatively, accurately, and in correct English language prose.
- Ability to effectively develop and manage an annual marketing and communications budget.
- Ability and willingness to work extended hours during evenings and weekends when necessary.
- Computer proficiency – Windows, Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Ability to represent the WWVW and its membership in a positive, professional and mature manner.
- Ability to operate under tight time constraints and occasional stressful conditions.
- Ability to occasionally travel outside of the Walla Walla Valley.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds.
*Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a résumé and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org . This position will remain open until filled. The WWVW is an equal opportunity employer.